Saturday, March 15, 2008

Overheard in Barnes & Noble...

Thursday was the last day of class before spring break next week, so since I have loads and loads of free time now (which I of course can't use to study), I decided to take a little trip to the locan B&N (AKA, my favorite non-clothes, non-chocolate store). While there, I had to visit the restroom. As I got closer, I heard the unmistakable shrieks of a dreaded child, and was bracing for diaper-smell as I entered. However it was an older child, and the ordeal in the next stall went down something like this:

Mother (quietly): "It's not scary...you're crying because you need to so bad...it's just like what we talked about at home...joshua...joshua...it's not scary...just go..."
"Joshua": "I CAAAN'T!!! NO!!!! I DON'T WANT TO!!! (sob, sob) NOOOOO!!!! (sob sob) I CAAN'T!!!!"

As disruptive as this was, I couldn't help but be amused and glad I didn't know what was really going on, and to all the many close loved-ones who will have their own "joshua" soon, hope you enjoy! :) (and good luck)
Then I went and ate a cupcake and listened to my ipod, as I peacefully browsed fashion magazines and started a couple of books for the next few hours.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

I agree, I'm not looking forward to taking Katie anywhere until I know she is completely potty trained. And yet, I know even then, we will still have embarrassing public bathroom moments. Good thing kids are so cute, as to make up for the
humbling parts of being a parent.

And the knowledge that most of the people in there, listening to your embarrassment, have gone through or will go through a similar experience. That's encouraging. They survived, so I probably will also.